Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Little Things

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Antonio Smith

I've been thinking a lot about the little things today. Part of that has been thinking about things that are actually physically small (like the undersized apple I found when walking this morning) and how somehow small things are undoubtedly cuter than large ones. Why is that? I'm thinking tiny tea sets, miniature pumpkins, babies! Most things are just more adorable the smaller they get. I'm sure I would've been cuter if I'd been about a foot shorter. I also would've had a dimple. And then I would've taken over the world so that people would never be able to call me "cute" ever again.


Back to the point, I've also been thinking about how it's the little things that really make or break your day. Bad days begin with a broken brace buckle, not enough time for a shower, realizing you're out of coffee, a fussy baby, being put on hold for 5 hours, a stubbed toe... You get the picture. And good days are most of the time just a combination of more positive moments that turn into a collage of happiness: a slice of carrot cake, yellow roses, a text from the Man, books and a good friend, skyping with family, Littles jumping up and down in his crib, an encouraging word from the Lord, cool autumn wind and crisp leaves... So how is it that we so often choose to let the little bad things define us and our lives instead of the little good things? Or is it just that we look for one over the other?

2 comments:

Michael & Jessica said...

We notice the hurt from falling down, but we don't often notice how great it is to walk around not having fallen. Hmmm.

Anonymous said...

Love this.... so often need to be reminded