Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Evidently Blessed

Nobody sees a flower--really--it is so small it takes time--we haven't time--and to see takes time, like to have a friend takes time.
Georgia O'Keeffe

I've been thinking a lot about the awesome friends that I have and some of those moments when I've found myself thinking, "Wow. I just do not deserve to have a friend that superb." So I wanted to share. These are, evidently, a few of the ways I know a true friend:
  • They keep their cell phone by the bed at night because they know I'm home by myself and pregnant out the wazoo.
  • They send their husband over to rescue me from a dog food eating opossum.
  • They are willing to change the kitty litter for me when my husband is unexpectedly out of town and I can't get close enough to it to scoop poop (even in a mask and gloves) without vomiting.
  • I can spend three hours over coffee and conversation with them without realizing where the time has gone.
  • They call just to check in. Or because they saw something random that reminded them of me. Or because they're stuck in a car somewhere and obviously I should be available to entertain them.
  • They send hand written cards my first week in a new house, occasionally even awesomely hand made cards that I could never make myself.
  • They possess that key quality of honesty, even--and sometimes especially--when it's regarding something I don't want to hear.
  • They don't mind just getting in a car with me and driving and listening to music and talking. They even try to avoid making gasping noises and clutching franticly at the arm rests.
  • Speaking of music, they gift me with multiple mix CDs that enlarge my musical horizons.
  • They don't judge the state of my home, my hair, or my clothing. Neither do they judge (or penalize) my lack of crafting ability.
  • They make me laugh so hard that I cry and occasionally pee in my pants.
  • They're always up for adventure. Especially if it involves donuts, pizza, pudding, some form of international cuisine, or Bollywood.
  • They make running errands together (including taking my kid to the doctor) fun and think that's a completely acceptable way to spend time together.
  • When God teaches them something new, they want me to know about it. And vice-versa.
I'm missing some key memories here... but I blame the pregnancy. And I know that since you're my true friend (wink, wink), you'll forgive me and lovingly put whatever it was that I forgot into the comments section.

No comments: