Saturday, March 10, 2018

Saturday Prayers

In children's church this week, we talked about some of the miracles Jesus performed in the book of Matthew, and then the kids worked to memorize Matt 9:36, which says that when Jesus looked at the crowd "He had compassion on them." My initial reaction was to remember the many times my heart hadn't been filled with compassion towards the suffering, the many times my heart hadn't even been filled with compassion for my own children. I prayed immediately that Jesus would help me be more like him, that he would take my old heart and give me a new one full of love. But I admit, I felt guilty about the many times I don't treat others with compassion, the many times my selfishness or impatience wins out.

This kid doesn't require much work to love.
Except for when she poop bombs nap time.

Then I remembered that when Jesus looks at me, he has compassion for me too. He looks at me and he loves me. Sure, he's fully aware of the times I lost my temper and yelled at my kids, but he still loves me. He is full of compassion for me and longs to heal me of the sickness of my heart that twists who he originally intended me to be into something ugly. He does not look at me in disbelief, frustrated that I am screwing up yet again. He does not look at me in impatience, astounded that I yet again need his help and forgiveness. He does not look at me as a problem to be solved, something broken that needs fixing, or a minor inconvenience to his day. He looks at me as his dear child, who was worth the payment of his life.

Watching the Hot Cross Buns bake.
They look so calm.

It's an illusion.

I write this after a long week with the kids. The Man was gone on a work trip, and I was not at my best. Every day was a struggle to present my children with the mother they needed, the one I wanted to give them. And many days I felt that I failed. It was hard to hear at the back of my mind, over and over again, that Christ was looking at me with compassion. I didn't want compassion--I wanted my kids to get a break from me. I wanted a break from them! But instead of a break, I was given Christ. He gives us himself so that we can persevere, grow, and give him to others. Much like the feeding of the five thousand with the five loaves and two fish, when Christ gives us himself, it doesn't look like much at first, but it is amazing how it multiplies when we give thanks and keep breaking off pieces to pass to the next person.

When the Biggest Big helps fill in for me...

This kid is so compassionate, he let's
Rolly read over his shoulder...

So here it is, Saturday morning after a challenging week, I can hear the rustle of legos from the Bigs room and the twins trying to rope Twinkle into playing Pretend in their room. The cats are curled up beside me in bed. My husband is on a plane, flying home to us (hurray!). Soon, we'll be up and making crepes and bacon (as promised earlier in the week) before I con the kids into helping me clean the house and go for a walk. But for right now, in this brief moment of quiet, I'm praying for myself that I would be more like Jesus--full of compassion--because I'm looking straight into his eyes and seeing the gentle love he has for me. If you'd like, I'll even pray it for you too.

5 comments:

Kristen said...

Wow. Just what I needed to read at just the right moment. It's been a long three months since Mr. Beans switched to 3rd shift and and has been sleeping and/or working long hours while I'm holding down the fort at home. Today has been one of the rougher days. I went downstairs (to give myself a timeout) after losing my temper again at something silly and checked my email. This post was in there and spoke to my heart. Thank you for your words of wisdom!

Marian Frizzell said...

Well, you know, preaching to the choir. I'm glad it encouraged you though. Your family has not been as often in my prayers lately, and I'm sorry for that. I'll up my game. Love to all of you.

McKinzie said...

Along the same lines, Jesus’ love, understanding, forgiveness, and yes-compassion- toward Peter is the detail of the Easter story that has captured my attention this year. I am a failure like Peter and you. Jesus lifts us up.

Auntie said...

Yes, please pray that for me too - I need a heart full of compassion and to remember that Jesus looks at me that way!

Dangdut said...

And next time you need a break from your kids, mail them to me in Africa...