Saturday, October 22, 2011

Delicious Is...

My book blog has been sadly neglected of late. I'd like to say that's all going to change, but I don't want to set myself up for failure. That being said, I read a new and delightful book this week thanks to the loving provision of Half-Price Books in San Antonio. Oh how I miss them--but I digress.

Pick of the week: The Search for Delicious by Natalie Babbitt, a charming and relatively short fairly tale that centers around a kingdom's war over the proper definition of the word "delicious". Seriously. Being somewhat food obsessed myself, I thoroughly enjoyed thinking about what I would put down for "delicious": would it be a cup of hot coffee on a windy autumn night or La Madeleine's croissant french toast with strawberries and syrup or an ice cold Dr Pepper accompanied by a handful of chocolate chips or fresh grilled fish and the sea scent of the Sunda Straights? There are so many great options!

At any rate, Babbitt's book is full of mermaids and dwarfs and good food options, and since the quest motif never gets old, pick it up and give it a look. If you manage to match my Half-Price Book price of $2.98 though, I'll be extremely surprised (Half-Price Books, I love you so much that if I'd met you before I got married things might've turned out differently...). Special shout out to Natalie Babbitt for doing her own illustrations--and doing them well. And no, I'm not going to tell you what the final consensus was on the definition of "delicious". Though I did find myself in agreement.

So, what do you think is the most delicious of all foods?

2 comments:

Jenny said...

We have that book somewhere in our (overflowing and too full but very beloved) bookshelves! I'll have to seek it out for a re-read. :) I love food too much to choose only one as the "most delicious"! Although, the seafood bisque at our local diner is certainly at the top of the list...

Glad to see you back, btw. Don't know if I got the chance to tell you that more than a few of my very satisfied return trips to the library have been the result of books you've mentioned here. :) "Spindle's End", for example. Love your blog! :)

neni said...

ICE CREAM!!!!! BREYER'S HEATH ICE CREAM AND BUTTER PECAN AND PEACH AND FRENCH VANILLA AND BUTTERFINGER. . . OH AND DQ BLIZZARDS!!!!! :-)