Thursday, December 18, 2014

Mary and Strong Willed Shooters

Tonight at Advent after reading the story of the angel Gabriel's announcement to Mary:

The Man: Boys, how would you feel if an angel appeared to you and told you that your life was going to change completely?

Little Man: I would tell him NO.

Tiny: I would shoot him with Daddy's gun.

And that, my friend, is Advent with strong willed boys.

Here they are with their strong-willed Mama. Also, note the nice necklace Littles made me.

What's interesting though is Mary's real response: "I am your servant. Let it be to me as you have said."

Christmas twins. Slay me now.

Can I tell you what I would've said if an angel showed up on my front door step with the news that my world was about to be turned upside down?

"Buddy, you've got the wrong girl."

This girl might be up for the job. She's tackling stairs and beginning her career as a pianist. {photo by the Man}
You know why I know that's what I would've said? Because that's what I say pretty much every day about the four little "unexpecteds" (some more so than others) that have dumped my world upside down over the last few years with all the unexpected things they do (the heart attack I got a few mornings ago when I woke up at 3am to find Tiny staring at me, his nose an inch from mine…unbelievable).

Sure, now he's sleeping. {photo by the Man}

It doesn't matter that an all-knowing God gifted me with these kids. Obviously, He over estimated my abilities here. See, somehow this ends up with me pridefully knowing more than God. I'm good like that.

So I'm thinking, instead, about Mary's incredibly humble response. You know what the root of humility is? Understanding who we are in God's eyes.

I can't handle the cuteness. {photo by the Man}

Obviously (again), if I can just see myself the way Jesus sees me, I'd understand why he thinks I'm the one for the job, why He picked me for these kids, this husband, these friends, this life... What a gift Mary had to be able to see herself with God's eyes.

May we all be gifted with such grace so that when God gives us the unexpected, we respond, "I am your servant. Let it be to me as you have said." Instead of my less eloquent, "Buddy, you've got the wrong girl." Or worse, "NO!" and then try to shoot the messenger.

These kids: tried to do the dishes the other day while the Man and I put the twins in bed. {photo by Josh}

2 comments:

4petesake said...

I really enjoyed this piece in so many ways. I love the way you say yes to the unexpected. Merry Christmas!

Dangdut said...

Smig and Tam--telling it like it is. Also, the twans look like Thing 1 and Thing 2 in their red pjs.