Monday, September 20, 2010

I'm A Big Fat Liar

I said I was going to put a hold on my rabid novel reading. I lied. Here's the truth though: I picked up three nonfiction books (and all the children's books) and was on my way out of the library when, what did mine eyes spy but the fourth in a series that I absolutely love, the fourth that was newly put to print, copyrighted 2010. How could I resist? I couldn't. And I didn't. And I read it that very day. While walking around the block. Speaking of which, we never came up with a good name for that.

Anyway, the series is by Megan Whalen Turner, who unfortunately failed to give her own books an all inclusive catchy title that I could use for this blog (what is her problem!?). The first book of the series, The Thief, is a Newbery Honor Book, and then she wrote The Queen of Attolia and The King of Attolia. I'm seriously obsessed with these books. I own all three of them, although I may have stolen The Thief from one of my sisters, and yes, I realize the irony of that, but I'm a book thief as well as a chronic liar. At any rate, I found book four, A Conspiracy of Kings, on the new books shelf at the library, and it was totally worth this confession. And then some. I love the ancient Greek feel to the books, and her plot twists always make me happy. Plus, Turner's characters are flawed but lovable and frequently funny. And just darn enjoyable to read about! Seriously, reading A Conspiracy of Kings was like going back a former home to spend time with old friends that I love.

I feel no shame. Oh, Megan Whalen, thank you for writing more young adult fiction to make my life a better place. Your swashbuckling tales have brought a little more joy into my already book happy life.

I just did some research, and the series has a name! The Queen's Thief Series. So quick, go find them! And read about a rascally thief, a (sometimes) bumbling prince, a crafty magus, and two queens, each different and wonderful in their own ways, but mostly read about the thief, because if he wasn't a fictional character, he would be my best friend. Seriously. Okay, I would want him to be my best friend, and yes, I realize that's not at all the same thing.

2 comments:

Dangdut said...

I want to read it! I think you should buy it so that I can read it when I get back. Also, buy it so you can have the whole series on your shelf. Or steal it from the library. You know how you do.

neni said...

i want to read it too!!!! I've just read all your recent posts and thoroughly enjoyed them all, esp the one about the children's books you read to alex. i can't wait to read to him!!! love you!