Saturday, January 8, 2011

winter blurbs: starting with gloves and moving on haphazardly from there

I hate gloves. They inhibit my tactile senses. But I appreciate their manful attempts to stop the rapid advance of frostbite. Also, I realized today that they function really well as a reusable tissue--one that's already attached to your hand. This isn't gross at all. It's inevitable.

For me, the appeal of winter decreases sharply after New Years. Once I take down the Christmas decorations, it should start to get warm again. Even butt warmers only do so much. Who really wants it to be cold on Valentine's Day, the holiday of love? Doesn't that seem like it should be a spring holiday? Or at least any other season where you aren't at least wearing five layers of clothes at all times and most likely sick with some sort of pneumonia?

The worst thing about winter, though, is the immediate runny nose I get upon walking out of the house. I open the front door, and it's as though the snot faucet is turned on. Hence, the need for gloves.

I realized recently that scarves are also like unloseable (this is not a word) handkerchiefs. Unfortunately for my gloves, I bought them at Payless and most of my scarves come from overseas, places that make high quality, not easily replaced merchandize.

I have all these hateful thoughts about winter, but as soon as I cuddle up in front of the fire with a cup of hot cocoa (nicely frothed with mini-chocolate chips sprinkled liberally into the foam), I feel all cozy and happy and stop panicking about how long spring is taking to get here.

Last thought: I enjoyed winter so much more last year. I think it has something to do with the fact that I had my own internal radiator. I tried to replicate the effect with a food baby this year, but it didn't work.

1 comment:

beth said...

My thoughts exactly. Let's boycott winter and its snotty gloves!