Monday, October 11, 2010

Just One More Chapter

Last night, the hubs and I were reading in bed, and he closed his book about the CIA (who reads that kind of stuff before bed?) and decided to go to sleep. I decided to read to the end of the chapter first... which turned into finishing the entire book while he snored away happily in bed next to me. I closed the book around midnight (which is a late night for me, but Little Man has been sleeping through the night lately...so why not?), and I have to say: it was worth it.

Late night reading--La's Orchestra Saves the World. Author of choice--Alexander McCall Smith. Genre--fiction, I admit, but quality fiction, which counts for something.

Many of you may know Alexander McCall Smith as the author of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books, some of which I have read and enjoyed. But let me be honest with you, I enjoy reading about Africa, but I've never been there, and I have no memories to connect with books about Africa (not saying that this stops me from reading about Africa or wanting to go there). On the other hand, I spent half a year in England doing study abroad, and I have many fond memories that I can quickly call to mind when reading a book about England. Consequently, I loved La's Orchestra. Loved it. And it reminded me of one of my favourite books, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows, which I read while I was rotundly pregnant last year. In fact, La's Orchestra had most of my favourites: music, coffee, England, rain, fun characters, travel, references to good books...

Here's your quick synopsis if you want it: La Stone moves from London to the country (Suffolk, to be exact, where, ironically, my British flat mate was from) after her husband leaves her for another woman. There she weathers through WWII, finding ways to join in the war effort, one of which is to start an orchestra in order to build morale. Add in a few other characters, some intrigue, and several cups of tea, and there you have it.

And now I want it to rain so I can make scones and play Pretend-I'm-In-England for a bit.

3 comments:

Joanna said...

I'll have to read this one. Do you own it or did you find it at the library?

Marian Frizzell said...

found it at the library, but it's one of those that I'd consider buying. You'd like it, so if you can find it at the library, go for it.

4petesake said...

i want to read it too!!! Mom