Friday, December 6, 2013

A Little Snowy Book Blog

Because today is a snow day, and because today begins the Mersmas celebrations (if you don't know what Mersmas is, I pity you), and because I'm getting complaints about my lack of blogging verbosity this month, here I am. And may I just say: seriously? I blogged every day in October. I really thought you guys would want a bit more of a break from me. Let's be honest, after six weeks of bed rest, I want a break from me.

Anyway, I'm not going to update you on any of my exciting bed rest stories today. I am, however, going to present a couple awesome books for your holiday reading and make one completely snarky comment about the books my children have been exposing me to while I'm stuck on bed rest and unable to protect myself from their literary demands. I will go ahead and be completely honest and say that I have not finished either of the books I am recommending to you, and I rarely suggest books I haven't finished, but since the twins could show up any day now, I didn't want to miss out on the chance to write about them on here. So if they turn out REALLY awful at the end (the books, not the twins), I will come back here and eat my words, but I seriously doubt that's going to happen because they are both by writers that I trust. To make sure my bases are covered, I'm including the original book trailers below so you can decide if you're interested regardless of my half-read conclusions.

First up, A Million Little Ways by Emily P. Freeman. I can't tell you how much I'm learning from this book. My emails to the Man are peppered with quotations from it, as I consider with Emily Freeman how to make art in my life. I will be completely honest and say that some of the things she writes about have hit a little close to home. There have been some teary moments for me reading her words as I've faced fears and confessed sin, and this has been good. And yes, before you tell me that I'm just hormonal, I will reiterate that the book is just that well-written and thought provoking. Otherwise why would I risk telling you about it when I haven't even finished it?



Second, I am thoroughly enjoying Ann Voskamp's Advent book, The Greatest Gift. My mom-in-love sent it for an early Mersmas present, and it is making my December so much more lovely. It takes only a few minutes of my day and brings me to a place of worship that keeps me focused on the true gift of Christmas: Christ. The boys helped me cut out the printable Jesse Tree ornaments that went along with it, and then we added some off center holes (hole punching is fun!) and some twine, and they're being added to our already wonderfully mismatched tree.


Lastly, and completely frivolously, I spend a lot of time reading train and tractor and airplane and car books. That's fine. It's one of those things about having boys (I am, however, pretty psyched about reading warrior princess books to the Baby Girl Twin). But let the record show: I do not approve of this  excessive personification of motorized vehicles. Machines do not have faces or feelings or the need to sleep. Sorry. I have no problem with talking, emoting animals, but there's a line, people, there's a line. And if I have to read one more book about a talking machine with feelings and bodily functions…well…it's not going to be pretty.

Anyway, a couple books to add to your Christmas wish list and a deep thought for all children's book writers out there to ponder. Merry Mersmas, everyone!

No comments: