Friday, March 12, 2010

Rainy Day Realization

I woke up to the beautiful sound of falling rain this morning and the clicking of my light switch with no accompanying flash of a lightbulb turning on. Yep. Our electricity was out. No biggie. We have a gas stove, and the grey light coming in through the windows was more than sufficient. Plus, my computer was charged. So I opened my laptop (lovingly named Seamus Finnigan McBook) to check my email and...wait, what? Why is my wifi not connecting?

Yeah, so, realization number 1: if you have no electricity, then your internet cannot connect. If you have no internet, then you cannot check your email. If you cannot check your email, then you can't find out how your husband's day went. If you can't find out how your husband's day went, well, you get the point. For want of a nail. Yada, yada.

Realization number 2: I am addicted to having internet. The thought that all the fresh produce in the fridge might go bad left me completely unfazed. Not being able to check email, and thereby hear from the Man, left me a little frantic. Not being able to play on facebook while I nursed left me a little bored (grey light while beautiful isn't the best to read by, so my alternatives were limited). And contemplating a day without watching Psych (yes, I was thinking long term) left me a little, well, saddened in that deep place of my soul that gets great pleasure out of howling over the antics of fictional Shawn Spencer and Burton Guster.

All that to say, I think I'm going to have to stop cold turkey when the Man comes home. I mean, no, not long term (my parents would have a cow if they could no longer skype with "their" boy, Littles--I'm a mere after thought), but I think I'll take a few days off since I'll actually be able to talk, in person, with the Man instead of having to email him or skype him or facebook message him. And nursing entertainment? He'll be here to talk to me. And surviving without Psych? Not a big deal. The Man is way cuter than Shawn Spencer and, yes, even Burton Guster.

As you can tell, my internet is now on, which means I should go email my husband and then I think oatmeal muffins are in order. After all, it is raining. And rain requires celebration at all times.

2 comments:

indokura said...

It came to my inbox so I read it! YAY! I want oatmeal muffins too. Also, I'm resigned to the rain because I have high hopes that it will wash away the rest of the snow, but I'm bummed cuz I wanted to run again on my beautiful trail behind my house. I only had one day of joyful running... maybe next week I can be out there again...

Matt said...

I love Psych...I thought I was one of the few! I got into it a couple months back :D